[openfabrics-ewg] rc3 installation issues.

Amit Mehrotra (amehrotr) amehrotr at cisco.com
Mon Apr 24 05:11:42 PDT 2006

I have been trying out the rc3 stack(IA32 RHEL4U3) and have encountered
a few issues.

1) udapl-devel-1.2-0.4265.2.EL4.i386 has to be manually uninstalled.
When I tried installing the rc3 package through the menu the existing
packages uninstall fails with the following error
-------
error: Failed dependencies:
        udapl = 1.2-0.4265.2.EL4 is needed by (installed)
udapl-devel-1.2-0.4265.2.EL4.i386
ERROR: Failed executing "/bin/rpm -e libibverbs libibverbs-devel
libibverbs- utils libmthca libmthca-devel libsdp opensm opensm-devel
udapl"
------
Work-around:- After manually uninstalling the
udapl-devel-1.2-0.4265.2.EL4.i386 package the installation succeeds.
The uninstall script needs to be modified in a way that it uninstalls
the udapl-devel-1.2-0.4265.2.EL4.i386? package.

2) Installing basic and HPC separately doesn't install MPI components.
When I try to first install(menu driven) the basic components and then
the HPC components the installation completes successfully but MPI rpms
are not installed.
Workaround :- Choose option to install all packages.

3) The README.txt is outdated e.g. vstat and ipoib_ping.pl
The README.txt in the top level of the source directory seems to be
out-dated.e.g.
a) vstat
The readme refers to vstat and the outputs printed by it. I think the
vstat has been replaced by ibstat which has a slightly different
outputs. e.g. vstat prints "1 HCA found:"whereas ibstat prints "CA
'mthca0'"
b) ipoib_ping.pl
This script doesn't seem to be there in rc3 or maybe it has been renamed
to something else which I haven't been able to locate.
c)miscellaneous
There are other instances which need to be weeded out e.g.
/etc/init.d/ibadmd, /etc/ibadm.topo, etc.

I have raised bug numbers 45,46,47 for them.

thanks
-Amit