[openfabrics-ewg] Re: DHCP modifications for usage with IPoIB

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 10:43:50 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 04:39:50PM +0300, Moni Levy wrote:
> All,
>
>     we've made some work on making the ISC-DHCP package work with IPoIB,
> basically we took an old patch based on ver 3.0.2 of the package
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.openib/9191> and updated
> it to the latest version. Attached is a tar file containing the
> following:
>
> 1. The dhcp-3.0.4b2 is the DHCP client/server program patched to support
> IP over IB (IPoIB) protocol.
>
> 2. The dhcp-3.0.4b2.orig is the original version without IPoIB support.
>
> 3. dhcp-3.0.4b2_ipoib.diff - is the patch file including differences
> between the dhcp-3.0.4b2.orig and dhcp-3.0.4b2 versions.
>
> 4. dhcp-3.0.2_ipoib.diff - is the original Hal's patch.
>
> The program was tested with linux kernel version 2.6.15 and most
> probably requires 2.6.14 or later.

Why 2.6.14 or later?  What's missing from earlier kernels that the patch
relies upon?

> During the port of the patch we had to fix few minor conflicts. We also
> had to disable the LPF support in order to be able to compile the new
> version. We sure have to polish the patch more in order to have the LPF
> support back but I want to understand if anyone is interested in that
> effort and if there are any intentions to include DHCP support for IPoIB
> in the distros and/or  the next OFED version,

I would love to enable dynamic IP allocation in our distribution.  However,
in order to be truly workable, not only must dhcpd and dhcp-client be
modified to support this, so must arping and right now it no longer
segfaults, but it doesn't get correct MAC address from the kernel for
sending out on the wire so that would have to be fixed too.  I'll look over
this patch, especially since the dhcp client part needs to be able to get
the full, correct 20 byte MAC address and see how hard it would be to
implement that same method in arping.

> more than that I would be
> happy to see Doug and Moiz more involved in the OFED related
> discussions.

Sorry, but I haven't been subscribed to the right list evidently.  I just
sent a subscription request for this list through.  However, I've got a lot
of projects on my plate for the next deadline, so I'm really behind in
reading list email.  If you want my input, please Cc: me directly.

--
  Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
         Red Hat, Inc.