[openfabrics-ewg] OFED 1.1-rc2 is ready

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Aug 27 08:10:05 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>:
> Subject: Re: [openfabrics-ewg] OFED 1.1-rc2 is ready
>
> On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 22:42 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting r. Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>:
> > > IOW, make use of the infrastructure
> > > provided in U4 instead of working around it.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't really understand what you suggest here.
> > Could you give us an example please?
>
> Sure.  The stock 2.6.9 kernel doesn't include kzalloc() or kstrdup().
> However, both of those exist in the Red Hat RHEL4 U3 and later kernels
> (yeah, I know, there isn't an easy way to know this, but unless you just
> *need* to support a U2 or earlier kernel, then you can just assume Red
> Hat has this).  Likewise, the U4 and later kernels have the proper class
> functions in the core kernel so you don't need small backports of stuff
> like class_create in the uverbs_main patch.  Ditto for the get_sb_psuedo
> in the core patch.  Ditto for a number of things in the ipath backports.
> Ditto for quite a few other things as well.  In general, there's less
> need to backport under RHEL4 U4 than previously, and where possible it
> would be best to make use of the core kernel's enhancements relative to
> a stock 2.6.9.

Oh. Yes, generally we do try to use these and make the patches minimal.
I am Cc-ing Jack Morgenstein who did the lion's share of work implementing
the backport.
I guess what you are saying is that we had missed quite a bit and they could
still be made smaller - in this case, would you care to post improved
patches?

Of course, it is unfortunate that these proposals for sweeping changes
come at such a late stage in the game - we are close to code freeze.

But let's see the code and we'll be able to decide whether this change
seems safe.

--
MST