[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] drop mthca from svn?

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Mon Aug 28 15:37:55 PDT 2006

    Roland> You can't guarantee that someone won't come along and
    Roland> write some IB driver and get it merged upstream without a
    Roland> BSD license.  So there's not much we can do anyway.

    Sean> Such a driver wouldn't be an OpenFabrics driver though.

Well, what is an "OpenFabrics driver" anyway?  I'm interesting in
writing Linux drivers to be honest.

    Sean> My only concern with this is its effect on backport patches,
    Sean> since most users are not running the later kernels.  I think
    Sean> only using the kernel org tree is ideal for the more mature
    Sean> code though.  Developing code still requires a separate
    Sean> repository.

I think that using git makes it much easier for the developers, since
merges with the trunk and handled far better than with svn.  And in a
way it's easier for testers also -- they can just merge the branches
that they're interested in, without having to run some bleeding edge
tree with everything under development thrown in (although -mm kernels
exist for people that want to do that as well).

 - R.