[openfabrics-ewg] OFED components and dependence on distributions and kernels

Erez Zilber erezz at voltaire.com
Mon Dec 18 03:49:58 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to understand whether OFED components should depend on kernel
versions or distribution version. For example: iSER in OFED 1.1 depends
on the kernel version of SLES 10 (because we support iSER only on SLES
10 for now). However, this is not good because it won't work for SLERT
and future SLES 10 service packs (because they have different kernel
versions).

Do you think that I can rely on something like /etc/SuSE-release (or
/etc/redhat-release for RedHat) and assume that as long as it is SLES 10
(no matter which service pack), my code should work?

Thanks,

Erez Zilber | 972-9-971-7689

Software Engineer, Storage Team

Voltaire – _The Grid Backbone_