[openfabrics-ewg] Fixing Module.symvers while building OFED

Erez Zilber erezz at voltaire.com
Sun Dec 31 05:55:37 PST 2006

Vlad,

I've started adding support for open-iscsi into the OFED build scripts.
However, I have the following problem:

iSER uses symbols that are exposed by open-iscsi (I'm talking only about
kernel now). Since we build everything out-of-tree, nobody updates
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/Module.symvers. Now, when iSER is loaded,
it needs to use open-iscsi symbols. It checks the CRC of the symbol of
the already loaded open-iscsi module and finds that it is different from
the symbol that iSER was built against (taken from the Module.symvers
file that was not updated). Therefore, is says that it disagrees about
the symbol version and fails to start.

The solution: after building and installing modules, we must fix the CRC
in the Module.symvers file. We need to do something like:

    * Build & install (and backup original modules) open-iscsi.
    * Fix the CRC for open-iscsi
    * Build & install (and backup original modules) InfiniBand drivers.
      Now, iSER will be built against the correct CRC.
    * Fix the CRC for InfiniBand

Therefore, I think that we need a wrapper build script that will call
the Makefile and the fix_crc function. I already have the code that
fixes/restores the CRC. What do you think?

Erez Zilber | 972-9-971-7689

Software Engineer, Storage Team

Voltaire – _The Grid Backbone_

__