[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] OFED 1.1 release - schedule and features

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Jul 12 09:22:30 PDT 2006

At 12:59 AM 7/12/2006, Tziporet Koren wrote:
>Scott Weitzenkamp (sweitzen) wrote:
> > For SDP, I would like to see "improved stability" (maybe you have this
> > in mind under "beta quality"), also how about "AIO support"?  The rest
> > of the list looks good.
> >
>Yes - beta quality means improved stability.
>AIO is not planed for 1.1 (schedule issue). If needed we can add it to 1.2

Would be nice if people thought about implementing the Sockets API
Extensions from the OpenGroup.  They provide explicit memory management and
async communications which will allow SDP performance to be fully
exploited.   The benefits go beyond what is found in AIO or on other OS
such as Windows.  If one were to extend slightly to have explicit RDMA Read
and Write from the Sockets API, then it would be quite possible to
eliminate SDP entirely for new applications leaving SDP strictly for legacy
Sockets environments.

Mike