[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] OFED 1.1 release - schedule and features

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Jul 12 14:59:25 PDT 2006

At 09:48 AM 7/12/2006, Jeff Broughton wrote:
>Mike,
>
>The whole purpose of SDP is to make sockets go faster without having to
>have the applications modified.  This is what the customers want.  I've
>heard this time and time again, across a wide spectrum of customers.

I am well aware of this.  However, Linux / Unix do not support async
communications which severely limits the potential performance benefits of
SDP.  When we wrote the SDP specification it was fully understood that
optimal performance is achieved through async communications.   We spent
considerable time constructing SDP to support both synchronous and
asynchronous communication paradigms which there are many applications that
would benefit.   Customers want to be able to use RDMA interconnects
without recompilation and through the use of SDP and shared libraries this
is certainly practical to execute.  Developers however are not the same as
customers and it is developers who would benefit from the Sockets
extensions and this would in turn benefit customers.

>Modifying the sockets API is just defining yet another RDMA API, and we
>have so many already....

I disagree.  This effort has distilled the API to basically one for RDMA
developers.  Applications are supported over this via either MPI or
Sockets.    It seems rather self limiting to think the traditional BSD
synchronous Sockets API is all the world should be able to use when it
comes to Sockets.  Sockets developers could easily incorporate the
extensions into their applications providing them with improved designs and
flexibility without having to learn about RDMA itself.  If the couple of
calls necessary to extend this API to support direct RDMA would allow them
to eliminate SDP entirely, well, that has benefits that go beyond just its
all Sockets; it also eliminates the IP cloud that hovers over SDP
licensing.   Something that many developers and customers would appreciate.

In the end, this effort could choose to progress Sockets technology and
extend the number of developers and applications that can achieve optimal
performance with only minor knowledge growth or they can live with the
limitations of the BSD Sockets API and either accept performance loss or be
forced to jump through the hoops of using other rather niche or obscure API
to accomplish what is possible with a small number of Sockets extensions
which were defined by people with years of experience implementing Sockets
and working with application developers.

Mike