[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] OFED 1.1 release - schedule and features

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Mon Jul 24 00:36:09 PDT 2006

> Or Gerlitz wrote:
>> Vladimir Sokolovsky wrote:

>> Did you have any special reason to assign host1:ib1 an IP address
>> ***before*** the failover? is the reason for that happen to be having
>> it joins the IPv4 multicast group at "batch time", that is not during
>> the failover?

> ib1 interface is loaded in any case (with or without configuration) if
> ib0 is loaded by /etc/init.d/network or /etc/init.d/openibd. It can't be
> configured with IP 0.0.0.0 - it fails to start with this configuration.
> So, I gave it some IP in a different IP subnet.

Not sure what you mean by "loaded": the trigger for IPoIB to registers
network devices is plain IB, that is "device (not link!) up" event it
gets through the ib stack client register hotplug mechanism, for exampe
if the HCA has two ports, IPoIB will register ib0 and ib1 (same for two
HCAs each of them with one port etc).

However, I think the trigger for IPoIB to attempt doing the SA Q to have
the port GID associated with IPoIB netdevice join an mcast group is the
user action towards having this device being "UP" (eg the assignment of
IP address to it).

Not sure what you mean by "start", you can just do nothing before the
failure of ib0 and during the failover from ib0 to ib1, assign ib1 the
address which used to be of ib0.

>> I think we want arping to send a gratuitous arp with the MAC of ib1
>> so weren't you need to provide the -U or -A command line to arping?

> You are right I used 'arping -A ...' (fogot to insert it in the email).
> Actually, I have added my flag '-R' which means '-A over IPoIB'

thanks for the patch, i am not sure to fully follow the code path when
the "unsolicited" flag is set, but i do see what unlike in the -A/-U
options you have made the -R option not to set the "unsolicited" flag,
can you explain what was the issue?

Or.