[openfabrics-ewg] How do I use "madeye" to diagnose a problem?

Don.Albert at Bull.com Don.Albert at Bull.com
Tue Jun 20 21:12:41 PDT 2006

Hal,

> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:59, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > > What next, coach?
> >
> > Can you turn on madeye on the remote node and see what packets are
> > received and sent ? Let me know if you need help with that. I think
you
> > said you were running OFED, right ?

The above text was in an earlier email where you suggested using "madeye"
to try to dump MAD packets to see what was being received and sent on a
node where the link goes into an "initializing" state but will not go
"active".  To summarize the problem:

For the past several weeks, off and on,  I have been trying to get a small
two node testbed system to run with the OFED release (first RC5,  now the
1.0 release).   These nodes are EM64T machines, running an RHEL4 U3 Linux
with the 2.6.16 kernel.   The HCAs are Mellanox MT25204,  4x DDR,
connected back to back.

This back to back setup was working originally with a backported 2.6.11-34
kernel and I believe it was revision 6500 from the OpenIB svn trunk at
that time.  The problems started when I tried to move to the OFED release,
with the 2.6.16 kernel.   One machine comes up and appears to work fine,
but the other will not bring the link up.   The one that is working is
running the OpenSM Subnet Manager,  and when it tries to probe the other
system, it gets no response.

We did try cabling the two systems through a switch to have the SM in the
switch try to bring up the links, and the "good" system's link comes up
but the other does not.

Returning to the suggestion to use madeye:   I located the madeye source
on the OpenIB svn repository, and I was able to build a kernel module, but
I have no information on what the module does, or how to use it to capture
the MAD packets on the machine with the problem.   Can you provide or
point me to a description of how to use madeye?

        -Don Albert-