[openfabrics-ewg] Place for the IBED releases

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Mar 28 06:34:59 PST 2006

Note that my concern with putting the MPI packages out in the
OpenFabrics SVN is the replication of code -- both Open MPI and the OSU
MVAPICH have their own publicly-available Subversion repositories.  So
there's little sense in dumping full source versions of these software
packages in the OpenFabrics SVN -- if the content that we put there is
identical to what is already available in (for example) the Open MPI
SVN, all that does is create larger maintenance logistics (more places
to update whenever there are changes).

I think there are two main options:

- We only put IBED-specific and unique items in the OF SVN (e.g., SRPMs
/ RPMs / specfiles that are unique to IBED -- not the same as the
general purpose SRPMs / RPMs / specfiles that may already be available
for Open MPI / OSU MVAPICH).  The OF SVN then becomes the "real"
repository for these items.  (I realize that everyone has their own,
highly tweaked versions of MVAPICH; since they are so different from the
main OSU distributions, this may be the option of choice for MVAPICH,
since it's not really the "OSU MVAPICH").

- If IBED does want exactly the same stuff that is already available
(e.g., using Open MPI's main SRPM / specfile), then the IBED creation
scripts can either just do a "wget" or "svn co" to download it from Open
MPI's SVN or we can use the svn:externals property to make it look like
this stuff is in the OF SVN for convenience.  For stability /
repeatability / testing purposes, it is certainly possible to download a
specific revision of a specfile from the Open MPI SVN (for example), so
that when IBED is created, it always gets r1234 of the Open MPI
specfile.

Note that this is all a side issue mainly dealing with any software that
is publicly available elsewhere (e.g., Open MPI -- may not necessarily
apply to MVAPICH).  I would still like to see all the scripts / unique
content in IBED show up in the OF SVN somewhere so that we can
collaborate on them.