[openfabrics-ewg] RE: OpenMPI package & install definition

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Mar 28 10:40:39 PST 2006

In general, I am too.

However, at least in my experience, if there is not a trivial mechanism
for a user to choose which MPI to use (preferably a menu-based
selection, or some simple CLI mechanism), users will mess it up and get
confused when it doesn't work (e.g., set PATH for one MPI but
LD_LIBRARY_PATH for another, and MANPATH for a 3rd).  And then we get
blamed.  :-)

I realize that the easy solution here is just to say "document it / let
the user figure it out", but:

1. I want to be sure that we all understand and agree to that
2. This does not solve problems for us if we want to have some automated
scripts to compile/run MPI applications (e.g., PMB) -- the automated
scripts will run into the same issues

There are a few solutions that may be helpful here, such as environment
modules/switcher or softenv.  It just depends on what we want to do