[openfabrics-ewg] SRP: changes to ibsrpdm

Ishai Rabinovitz ishai at mellanox.co.il
Thu May 4 06:53:36 PDT 2006

Hi,

After implementing and submitting the ibsrpdm patches I got the
following important remarks:

1) Sometimes there is a need to add a target twice.

2) It it unnecessary complication to the kernel to look for a target in
the targets list in order to remove it.

3) There is a conceptual problem in the list_target query - In sysfs
each file should report only one value.

Before implementing the fixes according to this remarks, I want to see
if there are any comments to the changes I'm going to do.

I'm going to change ibsrpdm and SRP driver code in the following manner:

1) There is going to be an attribute for a target indicating if it was
added by the daemon (Named daemons). Only the daemon should add targets
with this attribute set.

2) The kernel will not allow the daemon to add the same target twice.
Regular activation of add_target can add multiple instances of the same
target.

3) list_target query will be removed. The information will be in several
directories in sysfs (One for each target) - Roland, vu, can you send me
a pointer that explains which target information can be found in the
sysfs today?

4) I'll change the way I've implemented the activation of remove target.
There will be a remove target file for each existing target directory in
sysfs, echo 1 to this file will remove the corresponding target.

5) The daemon will remove only targets that it added. (Has the daemons
attribute set).

6) Adding execution modes to ibsrpdm:
    a) When activated without flags or with -c flag, ibsrpdm will
executes once (has before) and display the targets in the network.
    b) When activated with -l flag,  ibsrpdm will be activated in a loop
and display at each cycle the targets that join the network and the
targets the leaves the network.
    c) When activated with -l and -a flags, ibsrpdm will be activated as
a daemon that adds targets that join the network.
    d) When activated with -l and -r flags, ibsrpdm will be activated as
a daemon that removes targets that leave the network.
    e) When activated with -l, -a and -r flags, ibsrpdm will be
activated as a daemon that adds targets that join the network, and
removes targets that leave the network.

The reason we need option b, is because costumers may want to add the
targets in a certain order (for binding purposes).

Any comments?

Ishai Rabinovitz