[openfabrics-ewg] db-devel requirement?

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue May 9 09:24:44 PDT 2006

I guess that still seems weird to me (especially since I cannot find a
RHEL4 package for db-devel -- am I just missing it?).

End users and going to "install" and then be confused when it doesn't
work.  This will likely generate an e-mail to OFED lists and/or a
support call to their vendor.

The scripts clearly figure out when dependencies are violated --
wouldn't it be better (from the naive user perspective -- meaning "the
most prevalent form of user") if the scripts say "the optional package
open-iscsi won't be installed because you don't have db-devel installed
-- is this ok?" (or somesuch).

Right now, there is no indication that OFED *can* be installed because
you run install.sh, select the "install" option, and then you are
eventually dumped back to a shell prompt.  I guess that's what I find
weird (and what I'm guessing will cause us a bunch of support questions,
especially if this is a stock RHEL4 issue).