[openfabrics-ewg] RE: Open-MPI issue on PPC64 platform

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Sun May 21 10:43:54 PDT 2006

If you need additional flags to also be passed through the wrapper
compilers, you need to use the following flags to Open MPI's configure:

  --with-wrapper-cflags   Extra flags to add to CFLAGS when using mpicc
  --with-wrapper-cxxflags Extra flags to add to CXXFLAGS when using
mpic++/mpiCC
  --with-wrapper-fflags   Extra flags to add to FFLAGS when using mpif77
  --with-wrapper-fcflags  Extra flags to add to FCFLAGS when using
mpif90

Specifically, Open MPI does not automatically pass all flags supplied by
CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS (etc.) specified by configure to the wrapper compiler
because there are many cases where you want Open MPI built with one set
of flags and your user app built with another (e.g., build an optimized
MPI but build your application with -g).  So if you specify:

    ./configure --with-wrapper-cflags=-m64 --with-wrapper-cxxflags=-m64
...etc.

Then the wrapper flags will include -m64 and the user codes won't need
to include that on their compile/link command lines.