[openfabrics-ewg] open-iscsi update for OFED 1.2

Erez Zilber erezz at voltaire.com
Sun Nov 26 04:08:55 PST 2006

Hi,

We would like to add an update for open-iscsi for OFED 1.2.

open-iscsi uses iSER as a transport (it also uses TCP and other
transports). The interface between open-iscsi and its transports should
not be broken. The problem is that while iSER is making progress, it
still has to adjust itself to old open-iscsi versions (like open-iscsi
in SLES 10) by applying backward patches on iSER. It means that progress
and bug fixes that were made are not reflected in OFED.

Therefore, we would like to do the following: if the user selects iSER
when installing OFED, open-iscsi (userspace & kernel) will be updated if
necessary (i.e. if the interface between open-iscsi and iSER from OFED
doesn't match). No backward patches will be applied on iSER.

Thanks,

Erez Zilber | 972-9-971-7689

Software Engineer, Storage Team

Voltaire – _The Grid Backbone_