[openfabrics-ewg] GPL-only iproute2 included in ipoibtools

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Oct 1 00:32:56 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>:
> Subject: GPL-only iproute2 included in ipoibtools
>
> What are the implications of including the GPL-only iproute2 sources
> in the ipoibtools directory for OFED?
>
>  - R.

No real implications. GPLv2 terms explicitly state:

	In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
	with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a
	storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under the
	scope of this License.

Note that we distribute iproute2 only as a work-around - to help out users of
distributions that still ship an older version that does not support IPoIB.
An alternative would be to simply ask the user to upgrade iproute
on his system.

--
MST