[openfabrics-ewg] RHEL5 and OFED ...

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Oct 15 08:59:34 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>:
> Subject: Re: RHEL5 and OFED ...
>
> On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 22:14 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting r. Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>:
> > > Sorry.  RHEL5 Beta1 has been out for a while, but OFED 1.1 still isn't
> > > done yet.  Obviously, I wasn't able to get something in RHEL5 that
> > > didn't even exist prior to freeze.
> >
> > Would it be possible to include patches backporting fixes in infiniband kernel
> > components from 2.6.18/OFED 1.1 to modules that already ship with RHEL5?
>
> Maybe.  It would depend on the patch.  Of course, keep in mind that
> RHEL5 Beta1 *has* a 2.6.18 kernel.

Really? That's way cool.
How does one generate patches for you? Patch against vanilla 2.6.18?
There are three kind of patches we might want:

1. The first thing would be to list fixes between 2.6.18 and 2.6.19-rc1 and
   backport these. Some of them are in OFED.

2. I think in cma module there are 2 main interfaces in OFED 1.1 missing in 2.6.18:
   API to set timeouts and retry count, and rdma_establish to handle passive side

3. Finally, OFED has some out of kernel modules (mostly UCMA and SDP)
   that it would be nice to add

Where does the line pass, approximately?  Backporting does take work, so I'd
like to get a feeling on what's likely to get accepted before I commit to this.

Now for userspace - does RHEL5 include at least libibverbs-1.0?
This has been released a while back, and Roland makes regular bugfix releases.

--
MST