[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] RHEL5 and OFED ...

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 08:37:55 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 08:15 -0700, Shirley Ma wrote:
> Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com> wrote on 10/19/2006 07:51:31 AM:
> >     Shirley> I am not sure whether this already has an answer.  The
> >     Shirley> justification is madvise(..., MADV_DONTFORK) is used to
> >     Shirley> make fork() work for verbs consumers in the recent
> >     Shirley> packages. I hope same patch will be in libehca.
> >
> > That's not in any released version of libibverbs, and not in the
> > libibverbs 1.0 tree at all (it is only in libibverbs 1.1-pre
> > development code)
>
> How can RHEL5 pick up this particular patch? Applications with fork()
> depend on this patch.

Well, the support isn't well tested, it isn't released, and ISTR that it
isn't even required by the MPI spec since that leaves behavior of an MPI
app undefined after a fork() call and hence any application written to
depend on undefined behavior is broken by design, so I'm leaning towards
this being a good example of when people just need to know when to say
no.  But, I'm open to being shown I'm wrong.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at