[openfabrics-ewg] ofed git layout ideas

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Wed Oct 25 11:08:09 PDT 2006

 > So, what we had for ofed 1.1, was a common git tree that had the addons and
 > additionally pulled from upstream from time to time.  This means, however, that
 > life was harder for people working just on backports or just scripts as they always
 > had to check out the full linux tree.
 >
 > So I wandered whether it would be cleaner to just have 2 git trees
 > - one for ofed addons
 > - another one tracking upstream that addons are tested to work against
 >
 > The advantage would be that its easier to see what ofed adds on top of linux
 > kernel, and what kernel version ofed is based on, a disadvantage would be that
 > we how have 2 git checksums as ofed kernel identifiers, and not 1 as previously.

I don't really have a strong opinion.  But I would just stick to 1
tree.  It should be easy to see what ofed adds on, just by doing a
diff between the upstream branch and the ofed branch.  And I don't
think that checking out a full linux tree is a big deal -- maybe it
takes a few extra seconds but I don't see any real disadvantage.