[openfabrics-ewg] git question

Minich, Makia minich at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 26 12:52:20 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 12:59 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
>  >       git clone -s --bare git://www.mellanox.co.il/~git/infiniband .git
>  >       git checkout ofed_1_1 `git-ls-tree -r --name-only ofed_1_1 \
>  >                    include/rdma include/scsi/srp.h drivers/infiniband \
>  >                    Documentation/infiniband ofed_scripts kernel_patches`
>  >       echo 'ref: refs/heads/ofed_1_1' > .git/HEAD
>
> This all looks more manual than it needs to be.  For example I would
> have thought the second two commands could just be "git checkout ofed_1_1"
>
> What git version are you running?
>
>  - R.

I'm using git version 1.4.1.  All of those commands are based on what is
on the OFED development wiki (in the "how to build ofed" document).  I
figured that since I'm new to git, I'd just go ahead and follow the
directions (as opposed to how I normally work).  All I want is the
simplest and easiest way to get the IB source (not the entire 2.6.??
kernel source).  This used to be relatively simple, but if I'm
understanding correctly the only way to to this (and still be able to
sync up with development changes through git-fetch or pull or whatever)
is to clone the entire repo (i.e. all of the 2.6.?? kernel).  Is this
correct?
--
Makia Minich <minich at ornl.gov>
National Center for Computation Science