[openfabrics-ewg] Where do contribute new stuff to OFED scripts?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Sep 15 04:08:21 PDT 2006

1. Post a patch to which version?  Put differently, what's the point of
having OFED on the trunk if it's not useful?  The whole idea of having OFED
on the trunk was so that development would could be done there, allowing
releases to be branched from it in a controlled manner.  Right now it seems
like active development occurs on the release branches, and that's just
weird (and gives no place for development that is not intended for current
releases).

2. Who is the gatekeeper for such patches, and why?

3. Why not use SVN as a collaboration tool rather than sending patches
around?  It seems quite inefficient to send a patch for every little thing
that needs to be done (some OMPI scripting improvements, allowing
system-wide/per-user MPI selection, etc.).  Patching creates more work for
everyone (create the patch, verify the patch, test and apply the patch... By
which time the patch may have become stale).  We have a shared development
area (the trunk); why not use it directly?

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit