[openfabrics-ewg] On vacation on Sep-13 till 12-Oct

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Sep 18 01:28:28 PDT 2006

On 9/17/06 5:46 PM, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

>> Case in point: I've gone back and forth with one of the GNU Libtool
>> maintainers for a few months to try to figure out a way to build Open MPI in
>> this "fake" tree where all the rpath information for OMPI's executables
>> won't be incorrect in the actual installation tree.  We haven't had success
>> yet, but are meeting tomorrow to try again...
>
> The issue is not limited to libtool, by the way.
> Before you release a source package, you are supposed to make dist.
>
> To do make you must run configure, and of course configure
> fails on dependency check - so again you either install
> stuff on your build machine, or start doing ugly hacks around
> autotools/autoconf limitations.

This is exactly the problem.  Open MPI solely uses autoconf/automake/libtool
for building on a variety of platforms, and OFED is currently the only
environment where such ugly hacks are necessary.  So I'm getting resistance
from the rest of the OMPI group about disrupting the configure/build
procedure that works everywhere else (but not with OFED because of the way
OFED chooses to build).

So "ugly hacks" are not attractive.

--
Jeff Squyres