[ewg] Re: SRP HA dm_multipath testing and questions

Ishai Rabinovitz ishai at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Apr 10 21:46:29 PDT 2007

Chieng Etta wrote:

> Scott Weitzenkamp (sweitzen) wrote:
>> I've been testing SRP HA and dm_multipath with:
>> - RHEL4 U3 x86_64, Cisco FC Gateway, and Sun T4 RAID
>> - RHEL4 U3 x86_64, Cisco FC Gateway, and Sun 3510 RAID
>> - SLES10 x86_64, Cisco FC Gateway, and 3 JBODs
>>
>> On RHEL4, I edited /etc/multipath.conf, ran "chkconfig multipathd on",
>> then rebooted.  On SLES 10, I ran "chkconfig boot.multipath on" and
>> "chkconfig multipathd on", then rebooted.  Ishai, I don't seem to need
>> 91-srp.rules, are you using the boot.multipath and multipathd scripts?
>
> On RHEL4 you really do not need 91-srp.rules and it is not used (see
> /etc/init.d/openibd)
> On SLES10 I was sure that you need it. I checked it, and you are correct. I
> don't see how it does it, but it seems that when using boot.multipath there
> is no need for 91-srp.rules. I will check it more deeply and change
> documentation and openibd script accordingly.
>
> [EC] I just verified it on SLES10 x86_64.  The multipath worked fine by
> using boot.multipath without 91-srp.rules.

In one of Novell's documents (SLES 10 Storage Administration Guide for EVMS - In section 5 Managing Multipath I/O for Devices http://www.novell.com/documentation/sles10/index.html?page=/documentation/sles10/stor_evms/data/multipathing.html) it says in subsection 5.7 that after a new target was discovered there is a need to actively execute multipath. (As I understand it from the document this is true even after boot.multipath is running)

Experiments in my environment also indicates that after executing boot.multipath, SRP HA is working also without 91-srp.rules, but after reading this document I'm even more confused.

> Ishai, in the SRP release notes - section 6, srp_daemon a., the first line
> should be changed to '"srp_daemon -a -o" is equivalent to "ibsrpdm"'.

Thanks, However Scott already noticed that and I already fixed it. You will see it in the next documentation version.