[ewg] OFED 1.2.c-11 is available

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Thu Aug 9 05:19:11 PDT 2007

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> In 1.2.c most patches are backported from 2.6.23.
> Some have been submitted for 2.6.24.
> Some have been carried from 1.2.

I see mistakes in the process here: for example patches that solve IB
bugs in 2.6.22 should have been submitted to -stable and this ofed
version need to be based on 2.6.22.x instead of 2.6.22 . Another way to
say this is that if patch is not important enough to be submitted to
-stable, then ofed can go out without it as well.

Note that for technologies such as Ethernet, Fibre Channel, you named
it, there is not "enterprise distribution" other then the commercial
distributions, and distributions are doing very well with using  -stable
kernels. Similarly the same for user space packages.

So at the end of the day, OFED kernel, as was stated clearly by the
founder committee, OFED is going to vanish and not exist.

The point I am trying to make here, is that wrong processes which are
possible only b/c OFED temporally exists (or at least in the form its
running now) in this time frame, create confusion for the people who
merge IB drivers into the distro kernels, for ISVs, for users, etc etc
(it bring cases like: why that X works in this way on kernel.org and in
another way on OFED? why does this API is different? etc etc)

Or.