[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] Re: ofa_1_2_c_kernel 20070802-0201 daily build status

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 14:07:41 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 16:08 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting Hoang-Nam Nguyen <HNGUYEN at de.ibm.com>:
> > Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: ofa_1_2_c_kernel 20070802-0201 daily build status

> > > Nam,
> > >    why can't you do this yourself?
> >
> > I may not upload code, for which I'm not a distributor, to the
> > (public) ofa server. Please understand that.
>
> Oh?
> GPL clearly gives you the right to distribute kernel code.

I think IBM's attorneys have probably banned uploading code to public
servers unless you are part of their IT department and uploading an
officially blessed product.  Technically, if Nam uploaded code to a
public server, then IBM can be seen as a distributor of that code, and
that's when certain parts of the GPL kick in and obligate the
distributor to various things.  I'm guessing the lawyers didn't want the
company to be accidentally obligated to anything, and the only safe way
to avoid that is not to allow developers to upload code.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at