[openfabrics-ewg] Warning the user that open-iscsi is installed (if iSER is selected)

Erez Zilber erezz at voltaire.com
Tue Feb 13 05:42:16 PST 2007

As you know, iSER is not a standalone module and is used as a transport
under open-iscsi. iSER & open-iscsi are installed as part of OFED 1.2.

The only problem is that open-iscsi is not a natural IB component.
Therefore, some users may not expect that OFED updates their open-iscsi
version. I propose that OFED will handle this in the following way:

    * iSER will not be selected by default (if I'm not wrong, this is
      what OFED already does).
    * When the user selects iSER, the UI will mention that open-iscsi
      will also be installed. Something like: Install ib_iser (includes
      open-iscsi installation): [y/N]
    * When installing OFED, open-iscsi package must be not installed. If
      it is installed, the installation script will return an error code
      and the user will be prompted to uninstall it first.
    * Add an explanation to README/release notes.

Please comment.

Thanks,

Erez Zilber | 972-9-971-7689

Software Engineer, Storage Team