[openfabrics-ewg] Warning the user that open-iscsi is installed (if iSER is selected)

Vladimir Sokolovsky vlad at mellanox.co.il
Wed Feb 14 06:47:48 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 15:37 +0200, Erez Zilber wrote:
> Erez Zilber wrote:
> > As you know, iSER is not a standalone module and is used as a transport
> > under open-iscsi. iSER & open-iscsi are installed as part of OFED 1.2.
> >
> > The only problem is that open-iscsi is not a natural IB component.
> > Therefore, some users may not expect that OFED updates their open-iscsi
> > version. I propose that OFED will handle this in the following way:
> >
> >     * iSER will not be selected by default (if I'm not wrong, this is
> >       what OFED already does).
Correct.

> >     * When the user selects iSER, the UI will mention that open-iscsi
> >       will also be installed. Something like: Install ib_iser (includes
> >       open-iscsi installation): [y/N]
Currently if you select ib_iser you will get the following message:

        Following is the list of OFED packages that you have chosen
            (some may have been added by the installation program due to package dependencies):
ib_iser
open-iscsi

> >     * When installing OFED, open-iscsi package must be not installed. If
> >       it is installed, the installation script will return an error code
> >       and the user will be prompted to uninstall it first.

Currently if open-iscsi installed then it will be removed by OFED
installation script and reinstalled with a new version.

If you want to change this please send me the patch.

--
Vladimir Sokolovsky <vlad at mellanox.co.il>
Mellanox Technologies Ltd.