[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] Reminder: OFED 1.2

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Wed Jan 17 14:02:08 PST 2007

On 13:34 Tue 16 Jan     , Jeff Squyres wrote:
> FWIW, having git's for the MPI implementations was asked for on the
> call yesterday (by Tziporet, IIRC?).  The rationale, as I understood
> it, was threefold:
>
> 1. Putting the MPI release in git provides a level of OFED-specific
> history and version control.  This was explicitly stated on the call
> yesterday.

Which history information we are expecting to see between bin-file-ver1
and bin-file-ver2, where files bin-file-ver* are never changed?

> 2. MPI's have concrete "releases" to OFED just like all other ULP's,
> especially if there is any OFED-specific packaging involved in the
> MPI's release.  This was not stated on the call, but it makes sense
> to me.
>
> 3. Putting everything in git makes it nicely uniform for OFED to be
> assembled.  This was not stated on the call, and I'm sure it's not a
> requirement, but it is a little nice to be uniform when assembling
> OFED (my $0.02).
>
> 4. We used to put the MPI releases in SVN (tarball or SRPM) for prior
> OFED release processes,

Yes, and it was bad practice IMO. GIT and SVN are version tracking tools,
mostly usable for sources and not for compilation results. Why one
should install git if everything really needed is just to download file
from the server?

> so putting them in a git seems to parallel
> that procedure.

Just file hosting should be perfectly enough for the all above. I don't
see any real reason to use git as non-versioned binary files storage.

Sasha