[openfabrics-ewg] SLERT pointer for iser testing

Erez Zilber erezz at voltaire.com
Thu Jan 18 01:03:09 PST 2007

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> Quoting Alex Tsariounov <alext at novell.com>:
>> Subject: Re: SLERT pointer for iser testing
>>
>> Hi,

>> [...]
>>>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Michael, Vlad,
>>>
>>> The patch above fixes a bug in OFED 1.1 installation scripts. iSER could
>>> be installed only on a specific kernel version of SLES 10. The patch
>>> allows it to be installed on any SLES 10 version (i.e SLERT and future
>>> service packs).
>>>
>>> This patch was accepted by Novell. Can you add it to OFED 1.1?
>>>
>> Well, as soon as I said that we would never change the suse minor number
>> for a maintenance kernel release.....   The current SLES/D maintenance
>> kernel found in the Novell updates site has the revision: 2.6.16.27-0.6
>>
>> So, the test above will fail on that kernel and iser will yet again not
>> be built.
>>
>> It's probably best to use this test for SLES 10:
>>
>>         case ${K_VER} in
>>          -    2.6.16.21-0.8-smp)
>>          +    2.6.16*)
>>

> But, it'll also catch all kernel.org kernels and any other 2.6.16 based distro,
> so that's no good.
> Something like 2.6.16.*-*.*) would be a bit safer.
>
> I'm not strong on shell glob pattern but I think we even want something that
> matches regexp 2\.6\.16\.?[0-9]+-[0-9]+\.[0-9]+-smp). It's a pity SLES does
> not label its kernels more clearly. Something like
> 2.6.16.21-0.8-smp-sles10 would be much better (like fedora does).

Alex,

Since you (Novell) define the policy of SLES kernel versions, can you
define a rule that we can use instead of the rule that I suggested
(2.6.16.21*)? using something like 2.6.16* may be problematic because it
will also catch something like 2.6.16.1 and we don't want this.

Erez Zilber | 972-9-971-7689

Software Engineer, Storage Team

Voltaire – _The Grid Backbone_

__