[openfabrics-ewg] Getting local_sa cache support and multicast support into OFED 1.2

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jan 18 09:11:53 PST 2007

> Sean should let us know when multicast kernel code can be put in OFED,
> (I assume it is in multicast branch of his tree). Note that Voltaire seem
> to want extensions to code, if so speak up, not a lot of time left for freeze.

The multicast code is in my multicast branch.  I plan on submitting a request to
pull in the multicast changes to ib_sa and ib_ipoib (and possibly rdma_cm) for
2.6.21, so it can start to get wider testing.

Voltaire is asking for changes to the rdma_cm's use of the multicast code,
specifically, so that they can offload ipoib.  The actual code changes that they
require do not appear to be large.

> For userspace, it was agreed that we will ship a release of librdmacm, correct?
> So I don't understand how taking some devel branch in moves us forward.
> But, we can live with it I guess. Sean needs to specify where (which branch)
> to take librdmacm for OFED 1.2 from, and same for Arlin for DAPL.

Which branch depends on the users.  The most stable branch is likely the
rdma_ucm-abi3 branch, which matches up with what's in 2.6.20.  This does not
include multicast support, however.  The librdmacm master branch includes the
multicast support.

Voltaire would like multicast support in OFED 1.2.  Intel would like multicast
support in a release, but I don't believe hitting OFED 1.2 is a strict
requirement for us.  Since Voltaire is requesting multicast support, my goal is
to try to get that into OFED.