[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED July 2, meeting summary on next OFED plans

Tom Tucker tom at opengridcomputing.com
Tue Jul 3 13:54:29 PDT 2007

Roland:

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:35 -0500, Steve Wise wrote:
> Tom, can you update us on NFS-RDMA?
>

> Roland Dreier wrote:
> >  > NFSoRDMA integration.
> >
> > I would like to see a status report on NFS/RDMA from the people who
> > want it in OFED.  As I understand it there are many core kernel
> > changes required for this -- switchable transports and also mount
> > option changes?

You are correct about the scope of the changes, although many of them
are already in the kernel. Chuck Lever just posted the mount changes and
I have posted a second round of the NFS-RDMA patches. You can see these
on nfs at lists.sourceforge.net. I would like to get them upstream in
2.6.23, but that's probably optimistic.

> > As far as I can tell from the outside, the NFS/RDMA effort seems to
> > have stalled -- whenever I talk to core NFS developers like Chuck
> > Lever or Trond Myklebust, they say that they are just waiting for the
> > NFS/RDMA developers to submit their changes for review.  And I haven't
> > seen any patches for a kernel newer that 2.6.18, so things look quite
> > out-of-date.

I'm not sure when you talked to those guys, but as I mentioned, this is
round-two of the patch submission. There is also a git tree that has
these submitted patches available for download and testing. These are on
a 2.6.22-rc6 base and the git URL is
git://linux-nfs.org/~tomtucker/nfs-rdma-dev-2.6.git

If you like, I can post the patchset here as well.

> > Without visible progress towards getting NFS/RDMA into mergeable form
> > soon, I think putting it into OFED 1.3 as anything other than a
> > technology preview that may be dropped from future releases would be a
> > very risky think to do.  Otherwise OFED risks getting stuck
> > maintaining the whole NFS/RDMA stack, since the development effort
> > outside of OFED really looks to me like it is fizzling out.

Perhaps the activity is not where you're used to looking. Both Trond and
Neal reviewed the previous patchset and provided feedback that I
addressed in the most recent patchset. That said, I'm sure there will be
quite a bit more before it's mergeable.