[ewg] Re: running cmpost in libibcm.

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jul 5 15:30:18 PDT 2007

Copying general OFA mail list.

> We’ve been trying to run the ‘cmpost’ example under the libibcm project.
>
> Here’s the scenario:
>
> Device Under Test: Mellanox HCA with 2 ports. ofed-rc6 stack installed.
> SM is disabled on the HCA
>
> Tester Device: A test implemented on the Agilent Infiniband Generator.
> Test brings up the subnet (has SM), and then sends a basic CM Connect
> Request with Service ID = DTA Service ID (0x20)
>
> Observation:
>
> 1.       Even when cmpost is not running, the OFED stack appears to send
> a ConnectReject with reason: Invalid Service ID. So clearly it looks
> like there is some kind of CM service running just on device boot up.
> How do we disable this?

The REJ is sent automatically by the kernel ib_cm module when a REQ is
received that does not match a listen.  You can 'disable' this by
unloading the ib_cm module, but this will disable the IB CM.

> 2.       cmpost in client mode fails to send the REQ packet

Given that observation 1 is occurring, a REQ packet must be being sent
by someone.  (The generator?)  Note that even though cmpost connects
over the libibcm directly, it still uses the librdmacm to obtain path
record information.  What response do you eventually get back from the
client side version of cmpost?

> 3.       cmpost  in server mode fails to receive a REQ packet sent from
> Agilent Generator.  Cmpost seems to block on ‘ib_cm_get_event’ and does
> not receive the incoming REQ.

I would verify that generated service IDs and that used by cmpost match
(i.e. same endianess).