[ewg] RE: RFC OFED-1.3 installation

Vladimir Sokolovsky vlad at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jul 17 08:36:23 PDT 2007

[ snip ]
> Let me copy and paste an email conversation I had with Or that
> highlights why this is broken:
>
> ------- Begin cut-n-paste
> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 22:25 +0300, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> > [sorry for breaking the thread, I am working from home now and
unable
> to use normal mailer.]
> >

> Let me give an example.  In OFED 1.0, you shipped dapl version 1.2.
In
> OFED 1.1, you also shipped dapl version 1.2.  However, code inspection
> shows that between OFED 1.0 and OFED 1.1, dapl did in fact change (not
> a lot, but anything is enough).

I am not suppose to support correct versioning for every package in
OFED.
It should be done by the maintainer of the package.

> The only reason that the OFED distribution has *ever* reliably
> installed the rpms you wanted installed is because you compile things
> locally and then *force* the upgrade of rpms over the top of older
rpms
> that have the same version number.  And even then, you yourselves
can't
> tell the difference between a customer with the OFED 1.0 or OFED 1.1
> dapl installed by checking the RPM version, you just have to go off
> what the end user *tells* you he installed and hope he's right.

OFED does not force an upgrade, it simply removes the previous version
and then installs the new one.
This is why package versioning does not affect OFED installation.
I agree that it is different for Linux Distributions and should be fixed
for OFED-1.3 but it should
be under responsibility of package maintainer.
So, all RPM spec files should be fixed for OFED-1.3 and properly
maintained.
We should discuss the kernel-ib package structure and its spec file.

> And I have to *know* what software my customer is running in order to
> support them.  Because you guys have done things the way you have, I
> can't know that.  I might be able to know if I could also guarantee
> they didn't download and locally compile your packages, but if they
> did, then the same version number of RPM can mean two different things
> entirely depending on whether it's your RPM or mine.

You can easily check if there OFED installation by running 'ofed_info'.

> I posted links to a wealth of valuable information on the topic of
> making a proper spec file and creating *good* packages during my talk
> at Sonoma.  I gather you haven't read those or you never would have
> suggested the above for creating the RPMs.

I just looked into your presentation from Sonoma. You providing there an
example
of management package and your make.dist script for creating daily
builds and releases.

I have a some questions about this script:
 59         VERSION=`grep "AC_INIT.*$target" $target/configure.in | cut
-f 2 -d ',' | sed -e 's/ //g'`
 97                 DATE=`date +%Y%m%d`
 98                 if [ -f $TMPDIR/$target.release ]; then
 99                         RELEASE=`cat $TMPDIR/$target.release`
100                         RELEASE=`expr $RELEASE + 1`
101                 else
102                         RELEASE=1
103                 fi
104                 echo $RELEASE > $TMPDIR/$target.release
105                 RELEASE=0.${RELEASE}.${DATE}git
106                 TARBALL=$target-git.tgz
107         fi
109         cp -a $target $target-$VERSION
110         sed -e
's/@VERSION@/'$VERSION'/;s/@RELEASE@/'$RELEASE'/;s/@TARBALL@/'$TARBALL'/
' < $target/$target.spec.in > $target-$VERSION/$target.spec
111         cd $target-$VERSION
112         ./autogen.sh
113         cd ..
114         echo "Creating $TMPDIR/$TARBALL"
115         tar -czf $TMPDIR/$TARBALL --exclude=.git $target-$VERSION

I thought that the standard way to get tar.gz file is using autotools (3
commands) like I wrote before:
autogen.sh, configure, make dist.
Can you explain why your way is better?

Do you have a proposal for daily builds? We need OFED daily builds for
verification.
We can't wait for RedHat updates to get the updated OFED packages.

What OFED-1.3 structure do you propose? Should it consist of source RPMs
or tgz files?
What features install script should support?

Regards,
Vladimir