[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] Re: RFC OFED-1.3 installation

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Jul 17 11:05:33 PDT 2007

It seems to me that this is all stemming from the same old fundamental
confusion between a "release" and a "distribution."  I think everyone
would be better served by a process where individual maintainers were
responsible for releasing tarballs of their packages, with schedules
coordinated toward an overall "openfabrics release" (see
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointNineteen for hints about a process that
might work), and then an OFED team handled spec files and kernel
module packaging for various distros.

In this world I would expect Doug could just take tarballs from the
openfabrics world and not be bothered by the OFED RPM spec files
(unless he wants to use them as a reference).

To summarize, there would be two separate "products":

 - openfabrics release:
     format: .tar.gz files
     customers: OFED, Red Hat/Novell/Debian/etc packagers

 - OFED release:
     format: .srpm and binary .rpm files
     customers: end users who need newer drivers than their distribution includes

 - R.