[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits

Arthur Jones arthur.jones at qlogic.com
Tue Jul 24 08:23:05 PDT 2007

hi michael, ...

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:09:09PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting Arthur Jones <arthur.jones at qlogic.com>:
> > Subject: Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits
> >
> > hi michael, ...
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:03:41AM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > But I also see a serious problem with addressing: basically
> > > git tracks content. It's not designed to track a bush
> > > of branches taken together.  For example, take tagging:
> > > tag namespace is global, so you can not have the same
> > > tag point at multiple branches at the same time.
> >
> > agreed.  however, the way we use git, with the
> > location of the git DB as the "tag", it's not
> > really a problem in practice.
>
> who uses git this way?

i do.

> > but tagging each
> > branch separately is indeed a PITA...
>
> This is just one problem.
> For example, git pull can only merge one branch at a time.

how is this a problem?  the way i use git,
i use a script to "reflow" the changes into
the dependent branches.  over the last few
months, anyway, it has worked fine...

> > > can you publish the scripts and/or the tree?
> > > i think we can start by just running the scripts nightly,
> > > making it possible for people to view backport history
> > > with gitview.
> >
> > i've attached the script that i'm using to compare
> > the trees, but it's a total hack.  it doesn't keep
> > the patch history.  that would not be too hard to
> > do i guess -- if there's interest...
> >
> > to run the script:
> >
> > <cp attached files here...>
> > $ git clone git://git.openfabrics.org/~mst/ofed_kernel.git ofed_kernel
> > $ cd ofed_kernel
> > $ for b in `cat ../ofed-backports.txt`; do ../create-backport.sh $b; done
> >
> > now you'll have a bunch of backport-2.6.xxx branches...
>
> So, would you like to have this script run nightly on ofed trees?

if someone finds that useful.  my main motivation is
getting rid of all the patches in ofed, if running this
script nightly helps us to get there, then i'm all for
it.  if it's just for me, it's easy enough to run the
scripts by hand...

arthur