[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] Re: OFED 1.2.c-9 is available

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Jul 31 15:19:52 PDT 2007

 > At some point you suggested sticking this stuff under the pci device and
 > adding softlinks under drivers/infiniband, so that
 > if there's an ethernet device on top of the core these can be shared.

 > Not sure how to do this though, and no idea why would
 > just adding the attributes in both places be any worse, either.

I didn't look at whether it's easy to create symlinks in sysfs.  I
don't really see any problem with just having both mlx4_ib and
mlx4_eth export the same data, and in fact that may make sense if
there is a different way mlx4_eth might want to export it (ethtool?).

However I definitely don't think we should force all userspace tools
to look in two different places in sysfs for information.  And if
there are some attributes that all devices support, then I guess we
should move the implementation of those attrs into core/sysfs.c.

 - R.