[ewg] OFED 1.2 and backwards binary compatibility

Steffen Persvold steffen.persvold at scali.com
Thu Jun 7 17:08:39 PDT 2007

OFED Team,

Is intended that OFED 1.2 verbs library aren't binary backwards compatible ? In 1.2-rc4 libraries are still called :

/usr/lib/libibverbs.so.1
/usr/lib/libibverbs.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib64/libibverbs.so.1
/usr/lib64/libibverbs.so.1.0.0

Which is the same as in 1.0 and 1.1 and this indicates binary compatibility (at least to a naive user like myself).

The problem though is that I have applications compiled with OFED 1.0 and 1.1 (those releases are binary compatible btw, as far as my testing goes) that hang when running on OFED 1.2...

Some clarification on the policy would be nice. In my opinion, if they no longer are compatible (and a diff of verbs.h indicates that, changes in header structures) OFED 1.2 libraries should be named something else than .so.1.0.0

Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Steffen Persvold
Technical Director Americas