[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits

Erez Zilber erezz at voltaire.com
Wed Jun 13 07:49:14 PDT 2007

> Erez, and other iser maintainers, I had a problem with RHEL4 iscsi backports
> (scsi_flush_work isn't exported) I decided that since it isn't
> called on older kernels it's reasonably safe to just comment it out,
> but would be interested to hear you opinion.
> See it in this sub-directory:
> kernel_patches/backport/2.6.9_U2/libiscsi_no_flush_to_2_6_9.patch

This leads me to something that I thought about in the past. Old kernels
(i.e. the RH4 kernels) don't have the SCSI work queue. Therefore, I used
schedule_work instead of scsi_queue_work. Now, I cannot replace
scsi_flush_work with flush_workqueue because I'm using a workqueue which
does not belong to me (and, therefore, I cannot flush it).

I'm thinking about adding a backport that will create a workqueue for
each session in open-iscsi. With this, I can queue & flush. Mike - what
do you think about that? I think that creating a workqueue in open-iscsi
per session will be the closer thing to the SCSI workqueue that we have
in new kernels.

Erez