[ewg] Re: IB verbs test problem

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Mar 12 04:42:18 PDT 2007

> Quoting Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>:
> Subject: Re: IB verbs test problem
>
>  > I guess you are running as a regular user and not root thus memory
>  > registration fails due to limit on amount of memory that the user can
>  > lock.
>
> I wonder if the libibverbs startup should do getrlimit(RLIMIT_MEMLOCK)
> and print a more informative warning message if the limit looks too
> low (less than 64 KB or so?  what is the default on the distros where
> there are problems like this)...

The only case where we really can't make progress is if the rlimit is 0, even 32K
might be enough for a couple of QPs/CQs and an MR.

And unconditionally printing to stderr even on error might be a problem -
the user application might recover from this failure, but your stderr output
might corrupt user's logs.

Maybe we should test LIBIBVERBS_VERBOSE or LIBIBVERBS_DEBUG variable
and print lots of informative messages to stderr if set.

--
MST