[ewg] Fwd: [ofa-general] OFED 1.2 Feb-26 meeting summary

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Sun Mar 18 13:24:58 PDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 07:01:38AM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> But Cisco, for example, supports
> only a specific set of distros/versions and we distribute binaries
> for them.  I believe that others may be doing the same...?

For our InfiniPath stack (which is all of OFED plus a little extra),
we build binary rpms for the various distros that we support. For Red
Hat, we install with a prefix of /usr, because that's "the Red Hat way
to do it". For SLES, we do it the SLES way.  This is what our
customers expect.

And as a compiler company, we know that having end-users always build
the binaries themselves is just asking for bugs. gcc can't build our
compiler correctly at -O2, but the bugs it inserts are subtle. And
compiler test suites are much, much better than OFED's tests. So users
are much better off using the same binary rpms as everyone else -- the
actual binaries that were tested -- unless they have a good reason to
rebuild.

-- greg