[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED install issues

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Mar 19 08:19:50 PDT 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Tziporet Koren wrote:

> There was a long discussion regarding the OFED installation process.
> There were several issues raised:
>
> 1. Prefix and the distro default:
> My suggestion is that we will change the default of the install
> according to the distro that is used.
>
>    1. For Redhat the default will be /usr
>    2. For SLES I don't know what should be the default - Moiz can
> you send me a contact person that will educate us on SLES preferred
> prefix.
>    3. Debian - Roland do you know what should be the default
>
> In case someone wish to stay with another prefix (or change it back
> to /usr/local/ofed) it can be easily done during installation:
>    * In an interactive installation there is a specific question:
> "Please enter the OFED installation directory [/usr/local/ofed]: "
>    * In a non-attended installation only need to change this line
> in the conf file: STACK_PREFIX=/usr/local/ofed
>
> Please reply if this is OK and we will do this change this week. In
> this way we will have enough time to test it before RC1. (Note that
> in Mellanox we always test both /usr/local/ofed and /usr/local
> prefixes)

I think that this sounds fine (and will be quite helpful for all the
reasons Doug has specified), but I'd like to hear from the testers.

> 2. SPEC files -
> Change this now is too risky for 1.2 - I suggest we do it
> immediately after OFED 1.2 so we have enough time to stabilize this
> change.
> In any case we may want to have a teleconference to define what we
> want.

I will happily participate in this effort.  I think that it's
[unfortunately] far too late to do anything about this for v1.2, so I
propose that we table the discussion until after 1.2 is out.  Then
let's re-start the discussion shortly/immediately after 1.2 is
released, decide what we want, come up with a way to move forward, etc.

> Also if anyone want to "raise the glove" - change and test the
> build & install scripts and send patches it will be great

I think that this is very much in the spirit of open source, but
given that there is so much apathy and confusion about the issue :-),
I think we should probably have a discussion about exactly what we
*want* before someone tries to code this up.

Just my $0.000000001.

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems