[ewg] Compiler warnings in backport patches

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Mar 22 06:57:57 PDT 2007

 > Is there really no existing OFA or OFED mandate to produce warning-
 > free code?
 >
 > I find that somewhat surprising / disappointing.  Can we make one?

No, I don't think warning-free code is a good goal.  First of all, for
a project like OFED, being warning-free isn't really all that easy to
even define, given that warnings come and go depending on compiler
version.  Second, some warnings are compiler bugs, plain and simple,
and making code worse to hide them just isn't a good idea.

 - R.