[ewg] requisite problems with rhel5

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Tue May 1 13:46:44 PDT 2007

I just noticed a false prereq problem when running build.sh from
ofed-1.2 on rhel5 _with_ a kernel.org kernel installed.  Here's the
issue:

build_env.sh checks the existence of /etc/redhat-release determine if
the distro is from redhat.  But if that file exists -and- the kernel
`uname -r` ends in *el5, then its sets DISTRIBUTION=redhat5.  Otherwise
it sets the DISTRIBUTION=redhat.

The mvapich2 prereq stuff that checks for sysfsutils-devel vs
libsysfs-devel uses the DISTRIBUTION variable to decide which rpm it
needs to prereq.  However, on my system, the distro _is_ RHEL5, but I
installed 2.6.20.8 on it.  So the prereqs fail because build_env.sh
incorrectly picks redhat as the distro instead of redhat5.

I think build_env.sh shouldn't use the kernel uname to determine if the
distro is redhat5.  Rather, it should grok the contents
of /etc/redhat-release to determine if its rhel5 or not...

Is this worthy of fixing for 1.2?

Steve.