[ewg] Question: RH4.5 inclusion in ofed-1.2

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon May 7 09:09:06 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 18:00 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>:
> > Subject: Re: [ewg] Question: RH4.5 inclusion in ofed-1.2
> >
> > On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 12:40 +0200, Hoang-Nam Nguyen wrote:
> > > Hello Doug!
> > > Would you mind to provide us with a download URL of RH4.5 kernel source,
> > > which has been out last week?
> > > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > The files are currently being copied to my web page where I keep all the
> > infiniband related stuff...see my sig for a pointer.
>
> Here?
>
> http://people.redhat.com/dledford/Infiniband/kernel/2.6.9/55.EL/
>
> It seems unpacking an SRPM needs a redhat system, openfabrics has ubuntu.

Unpacking an RPM needs RPM.  RPM is not Red Hat specific.  It is however
different than dpkg, which is what debian based systems, including
ubuntu, use by default.  However, you should be able to install the
various rpm tools on ubuntu, last I knew they were publicly available in
the common debian based package repos.

> what we really need is tarballs with source + .config files
> for all arches.

We don't make those.  We make the src.rpm, which can be installed and
then you can run rpmbuild --bp kernel-2.6.spec to make the source tree
on any arch you are interested in.  The rpmbuild --bp process spits out
the source tree (in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9 IIRC, unless you
specify somewhere else either on the command line to rpmbuild or in your
~/.rpmmacros file) plus the configs for the arch you ran it on.  The
source usually is identical from arch to arch, but on occasion, it has
been known to have a patch either included or left out on a single arch,
so don't rely upon it always being the same across all arches (this is
highly frowned upon though, so if it happens it's usually only
temporary).

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194