[ewg] RE: man pages for the rdma-cm

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Mon May 7 09:49:36 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 21:17 -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:
> >Are there man pages for the rdma-cm in the pipeline?  I think it would
> >be great (requirement?) to have these for ofed-1.2 since we do have the
> >other verbs man pages.
>
> I've added man pages for the APIs and test programs to my master and ofed_1_2
> branches.  If anyone gets a chance, I'd appreciate someone looking them over.  I
> plan on requested that they be pulled into the rc3 release.
>
> - Sean

Hey Sean, the pages look good!

Here are a few comments.  Consider them for inclusion, but what you've
done so far is a great start.

- are the events described anywhere?  Maybe they should be described in
rdma_get_cm_event?

- rdma_accept / rdma_connect: describe the conn_param fields.

- rdma_bind_addr: binding to port 0 will cause the rdma-cm to select and
available port.

- no pages for get_src_port/get_dst_port

- rdma_connect - "connected" and "unconnected" when discussing cm_ids is
misleading. Perhaps "reliable connection" vs "unreliable datagram"?

- rdma_create_event_channel: it would be nice to mention that the fd can
be used like any other fd (made non blocking, poll()/select()able, etc).

- rdma_disconnect - for iWARP connections, this initiates a RDMAC Verbs
"normal close".  If the connection was properly quiesced by the
application, then the QP will end up back in IDLE, but if the connection
was not quiesced, then the connection will be terminated and the QP will
end up in ERROR.  Dunno if we want to describe this in detail?

- Also, it might be nice to have some sort of overview man page that
maps the exected event flows for connection setup and teardown.  Maybe
'man rdmacm' gets you some overview?

Steve.