[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] Feedback on Developer's Summit

Dror Goldenberg gdror at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Nov 5 14:20:01 PST 2007

Roland Dreier wrote:
>  > As I said earlier on this thread,  the open issues I see with the stateless
>  > offload series are (A) the non interoperable checksum offload patch based on
>  > the IB ICRC sent by Michael (and if it is inter-operable, I'd like to be
>  > educated how) (B) LRO - a pure SW optimization, why it need to be in the
>  > ipoib driver and not at least shared with the network stack code above
>  > ipoib.
>
> For (A): as far as I'm concerned, turning off TCP/IP checksums is not
> something we want to do in IPoIB.  Is there anyone arguing in favor of
> it at this point?

This issue is moot, but it's an option for devices that do not support
csum offload and would like to still get better performance. Default is
off. If you have a specific installation where it makes sense to turn
off csum and rely on IB end to end ICRC then you can turn it on. On the
other hand, it breaks the TCP/IP end to end data integrity validation
and it violates csum calculation requirement. I can present what is
there in the patch, motivation and let people choose. Therefore I think
that a reasonable compromise will be to have it as an option and have it
turned off by default.