[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] resolve conflict between OFED 1.3 and 2.6.18 with ISCSI

Mon Apr 14 06:41:22 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 16:05 +0300, Erez Zilber wrote:

> General comment - in the future, I suggest that you send OFED related
> e-mails also to the EWG list and to me (I maintain iSER in OFED &
> kernel.org).

I will probably need to subscribe first.  :-(

> OFED 1.3 provides open-iscsi 2.0-865.15 (userspace & kernel). This
> version is newer than the version that is shipped with RHEL5. It also
> has full iSER support.

Yeah, I had a feeling that what I really wanted was to use the
ofa_kernel one.

> Yeah, it is an open-iscsi transport, so you must have open-iscsi in
> order to use this driver. With OFED 1.3, qla4xxx is not included. We
> only included the TCP & iSER transports.

Indeed.

> Of course. You can't have open-iscsi modules twice.

Exactly, which is why I want to disable them in the kernel if I can.

> OFED is shipped with its own version of open-iscsi because I don't want
> to support multiple versions of open-iscsi (each distro has its own
> version of open-iscsi).

That's certainly fair enough.

> Also, having a newer version of open-iscsi
> (which we have in OFED) fixes many bugs and adds new features (which is
> good).

Indeed.  All the more reason to use the OFED supplied one.  However...

> Is qla4xxx the only problem that you have with open-iscsi in OFED?

Looking through the kernel Kconfig files, it does appear that
SCSI_QLA_ISCSI is the only driver needing SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS that isn't in
the OFED 1.3 release.

b.