[ewg] OFED "incremental" build question

Tziporet Koren tziporet at dev.mellanox.co.il
Thu Feb 28 07:37:09 PST 2008

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Vlad,
>
> I have some questions on doing an "incremental" OFED build:
>
> Once an OFED version is built and installed, is there a way to rebuild a
> specified component from the extracted source for that component ? For
> example, if one wanted to rebuild the kernel modules previously selected
> during a previous OFED build and install, how would this be done ?
>
> I found:
> https://wiki.openfabrics.org/tiki-index.php?page=HOWTO+Build+OFA+kernel+package
> but this talks about doing this from the kernel git trees rather than
> from the extracted source from the OFED kernel SRPM.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers on this.

You can look for explanation on this in OFED_tips (included here too)

How to compile OFED sources manually

These are the instructions how to compile and install kernel and user
parts "manually"
meaning without building the RPMs and without using the install.pl script.

7.1 Compiling the kernel modules
--------------------------------
1. tar xzf OFED-1.3.tgz
2. rpm -ihv OFED-1.3/SRPMS/ofa_kernel-1.3-ofed20071122.src.rpm
3. cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
4. tar xzvf ofa_kernel-1.3.tgz
5. cd ofa_kernel-1.3
6. configure:
   run ./configure --help for a list of options.
   basic invocation is:
   ./configure --with-core-mod --with-ipoib-mod --with-mthca-mod
--with-mlx4_core-mod --with-mlx4_inf-mod
7. make
   make install

NOTES:
  1. configure applies the patches to the source code according to the
current
     kernel. If you wish to rerun configure it is recommend to untar the
source
     code tree from the beginning and start with a clean state.
     An alternative is to pass the option: --without-patch to the
configure invocation.

  2. The modules select for install are written to configure.mk.kernel

7.2 Compiling the user space libraries
--------------------------------------
To install user space library from the source RPM provided by OFED-1.3
manually,i
do the following:

Example for libibverbs:

1. tar xzf OFED-1.3.tgz
2. rpm -ihv OFED-1.3/SRPMS/libibverbs-1.1.1-0.10.ofed20080205.src.rpm
3. cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES (for RedHat)
   or
   cd /usr/src/packages/SOURCES (for SuSE)
4. tar xzf libibverbs-1.1.1.tgz
5. cd libibverbs-1.1.1
6. ./configure (specify parameters, if required)
7. make
8. make install