[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED Jan-07, 2008 meeting summary on readiness toward RC2

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Wed Jan 9 06:15:07 PST 2008

Tziporet Koren wrote:
> OFED Jan-07, 2008 meeting summary on readiness toward RC2
>
> 1. Release status:
>    * In general there are no major issues - testing continue at all
> companies
>    * There is a wide coverage of platform and OSes
>
> 2. Tasks that should be completed for RC2:
>    *	XRC - enhanced API - will be ready by next week
>    *	IPoIB performance improvements for small messages - at least
> some of the changes will be integrated
>    *	Open MPI 1.2.5-rc2 - will be ready by next week
>    *	Qlogic new driver - done
>
> 3. Agree on new schedule for the release:
>    *	RC2: Jan 15, 2008
>    *	RC3: Jan 29, 2008
>    *	RC4: Feb 12, 2008
>    *	Release: Feb 19, 2008
>
> If we will see that RC3 is stable enough we will try to pull-in
> And in any case we do not want to delay the release any more
>
> 4. Review critical and major bugs:
> 750	critical raisch at de.ibm.com	Problem with modprobe ib_ehca
> with older kernel versions
>       - probably fixed
> 760	major	eli at mellanox.co.il	UDP performance on Rx is lower
> than Tx
>       - related to IPoIB above
> 761	major	eli at mellanox.co.il	Poor and jittery UDP performance
> at small messages
>       - related to IPoIB above
> 820	major	pasha at mellanox.co.il	rpm 4.4.2.2, Binary file matches
> Binary file
>       - patch was sent by OSU will be incorporated by Pasha
> 800	major	perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu	MVAPICH2 compile error
> on PPC64
>       - fixed
> 736	major	rolandd at cisco.com	IBV_WC_RETRY_EXC_ERR errors with
> local rdma_reads
>      - Need Arlin to retest with new FW
> 767	major	swise at opengridcomputing.com	Non backport Kernels
> that don't build in genalloc compile errors for cxgb3
>      - not a major issue (will be in RN)

I'm beginning to think I should really fix this.  I had another customer
hit this issue today.  The fix, however, is to _always_ build the
genpool backport into the ib_core module.  Is that a reasonable fix?
I'd basically move the genpool backport patch into kernel_patches/fixes
so it always gets applied...  Thoughts?